The Society of Craniofacial Genetics and Developmental Biology (SCGDB) is an international organization established in 1975 as the Society of Craniofacial Genetics.
Mission: SCGDB is a professional society committed to advancing the knowledge, health care and prevention of craniofacial disorders through education and research.
Vision: Decrease the incidence of birth defects involving the craniofacial region.
Our founders recognized the need to unite clinicians and scientists from broad backgrounds and experience dedicated to the unique aspects of craniofacial development and associated birth defects. Since the Societies inception, our members have shared their clinical and scientific knowledge and expertise and have made numerous advances in understanding the genetic and developmental mechanism underlying normal and abnormal development of the craniofacial complex. In 2011 the name of the Society was expanded to include Developmental Biology to reflect the tight yet hierarchical integration between genetics and development/embryogenesis.
To accomplish the ultimate vision of the SCGDB we are working to:
- Foster basic and clinical research efforts in craniofacial genetics and developmental biology
- Sponsor and organize a high quality annual meeting of the SCGDB
- Provide trainee awards to highlight quality research and promote education and training
- Improve communication and networking between members
- Stimulate the interest of young future clinicians and scientist in craniofacial genetics and developmental biology
- Engage in public education